Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Scottish Food Delicious!

We were told not to expect much from Scotland food, but whenever we went to a Scottish restaurant, we were pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed my fish & chips (fries) & vinegar. Scones (a glorified baking powdered biscuit) & clotted cream (a cross between butter and cream). And I was very impressed with the ‘Haggis, Neeps & Tatties’. I’m not sure what ‘Haggis’ is, but I think it’s a ground beef mixture of some kind that is on the bottom with ‘neeps’ (turnips which are very mild) and ‘tatties’ (mashed potatoes). It was like a shepherds pie, but with more flavor from the meat mixture. Both times we had it, it was delicious. Of course, since they live near the Royal Mile, the restaurants were rather competitive. I would imagine their food would have to stay good to keep enough people coming in to pay the rent.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Jeff just informed me that true Haggis is made in sheeps stomach linings with all the left overs of the sheep in it. I seriously hope thats not what you had. YUCK!