Wednesday, December 10, 2008


Salzburg was my favorite! It was everything it was supposed to be - birthplace and hometown of Mozart and the home of The Sound of Music. Which brings me to a sad revelation. Edelweiss, the Austrian folksong, was the creation of Rogers & Hammerstein. It has since become an unofficial Austrian folksong, as well as all the other songs made famous in the movie. Salzburg has embraced and makes big bucks marketing all things 'Sound of Music'.



This was a great time to be in Eruope. There were 'Christmas Markets' everywhere. Little wooden huts in city plazas selling all things imaginable. The sights and sounds were festive and delightful.

2 comments:

Patty said...

I loved seeing the handsome pictures of your sons. They sure have grown up.
My sister-in-law went with the Folk Dancers from Ricks to Europe and her favorite place was Austria.
It would be really cool to be in a different country at Christmas time. Sounds like a wonderful place.
I ask Adam about Christmas in Portugal and other than a few lights and Black Pete he doesn't say much about it. He is not into description but I get the impression they spend very little time in the members homes. I think that is so sad.
Have you ever been to Portugal? Have you ever been to Switerland? I think it would be fun to see where the Hunsaker family came from, maybe someday.

Saundra said...

Thanks for answering our question! We watched the Sound of Music last weekend, and we were wondering if Edelweiss was an actual song of Austria. Now we know!!
PS. Congrats on your upcoming grandbaby! Too cool.